Red, White and Blueberry Cake is fabulous for any summer occasion; but it was especially grand at our 4th of July Neighborhood Party!!! We adults tried, but were completely unsuccessful at hiding it from the children. Blast it! We all really wanted a second piece!!! Everyone was SHOCKED when I told them it was a Gluten Free Cake! YES!
I’ve been promising to give out the recipe ever since the party! So now, all of you, quit whining and calling me for the recipe!! HERE IT IS!!!!! (Whew! I feel better now!)
Here’s a great “make ahead” tip: Bake the Vanilla Cake ahead of time (up to a week ahead). Freeze it; well wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil. On the day of the party; thaw it, slice into layers and fill it with the whipped cream and fresh fruit! Ah…piece of cake – soooooo easy and soooo impressive!
Red, White & Blueberry Cake
Line two – 8” x 2” round cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 325°F
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup potato starch (potato starch not flour!)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup bakers sugar (very finely granulated sugar)
4 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Sift cornstarch, potato starch, cream of tartar and salt, twice. Set aside. Measure 3/4 cup bakers sugar. Set aside.
2. Separate eggs – Put yolks in a small bowl. Put whites in a GREASE FREE mixing bowl and beat whites 1 – 2 minutes on high speed with your electric mixer until thick and puffy. Beat in vanilla, then S-L-O-W-L-Y pour in the sugar a little bit at a time, while beating on high speed until light and fluffy. It should look like thick, puffy clouds!
3. Turn mixer speed to medium and add egg yolks one at a time, beating just until mixed in. Take the beaten “cloud” mixing bowl to a counter and you’re going to hand-whisk in the dry ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients in thirds over the egg whites; gently WHISK just until mixed. (A whisk is the best tool for this!)
4. Pour into prepared pans. Bake approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cakes on a wire rack. When completely cooled, run a knife around the edges and loosen cakes.
3 cups heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place all in a chilled bowl and beat on low speed until mixed together, then on high speed until thick and fluffy.
1 pint fresh Strawberries, sliced
2 pints fresh Raspberries
(Reserve some raspberries for the top of the cake for decoration)
1 pint fresh Blueberries
(Reserve some blueberries for the top of the cake for decoration)
(Seedless or with seeds; your choice)
Remove the parchment paper from the cake and slice each cake in half to make four layers.
- Put one layer on your cake plate and top with sweetened whipped cream. Spread to the edges; then evenly sprinkle on some of the fresh berries. Spread some more whipped cream on top; then add another layer.
- Repeat until you’re done! Decorate your cake with the reserved raspberries and blueberries.
- Melt about 1/3 cup of raspberry jam in a small saucepan. Drizzle over the top of the raspberries. Wow! That looks AMAZING!!!!
Happy Summer Party Day!