Meatloaf was my husband’s favorite dish when he was growing up. He loved meatloaf so much, he even wanted it on his birthday! Now, my Gorgeous Man has eaten so many meatloaves in his lifetime; I figure he is a Meatloaf Expert. So when I decided to experiment and make a Buffalo Meatloaf, well I knew, it better be good!
But alas, I want the fastest, easiest way to cook; and the recipes for a gourmet meatloaf say something like this: “Saute the finely chopped onions, garlic, etc. in a heated skillet, toast the seasonings…”
Mercy! I simply want to put a meatloaf together in minutes! Yet, I want it to taste like I have slaved away in the kitchen for HOURS. Yeah, you got it – I want restaurant quality, Gourmet Meatloaf – the easy way. And I want to use Buffalo.
Buffalo! Why Buffalo??
- Buffalo has 70% to 90% less fat compared to beef
- On average it has about 50% less cholesterol
- Buffalo is higher in protein, iron and all the omega and amino acids
- Buffalo is also naturally resistant to disease so buffalo don’t need all the antibiotics and growth hormones that are typically given to beef
- And – most important – it tastes GREAT!
Where can you get Buffalo meat? Natural food grocery stores and many supermarkets carry it, and of course you can get it online. I got our Buffalo at the QFC Grocery Store.
But the question was – Would the Meatloaf Expert like it?
That evening, as my Gorgeous Man walked in the door he announced, “Whatever we are having for dinner, I LOVE IT! It smells wonderful.” I laughed and informed him that we were having his favorite dish; however, I neglected to tell him that I had made his beloved meatloaf with Buffalo. Gosh! Would he like it??
He took a bite, then looked at his fork quizzically. I said, nothing. He took another bit, then said, “Honey, I don’t know what you did, but this is the best meatloaf I have ever had.”
Wow – and those are words from a Meatloaf Expert! I hope you, your family and friends really enjoy my gluten-free Gourmet Buffalo Meatloaf also! Much love and Bon Appétit!
Lynn’s (easy) Gourmet Buffalo Meatloaf
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- Whatever you have around; try GF english muffins or Scandalous Fabulous Bread
1/4 cup milk of your choice (dairy, rice, almond, coconut, etc.)
1 pound ground Buffalo
13 oz. ground pork (salt free, unseasoned)
- Note: If your meat market carries ground pork with salt added (check the ingredient label) ~ Reduce the salt by 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
1/2 cup ketchup (I use organic ketchup)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I use Redmond RealSalt-all natural sea salt)
1/2 – 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 crumbled bay leaf
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and milk. Add everything else on top. Mix together until combined.
2. With your hands, lightly pat into a greased 9×5 inch baking pan.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for about 70 minutes or until done. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, remove from pan, cut into slices and serve.
Serve with Perfect Baked Potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes and Green Beans. Sometimes I like to add buttered red beans, too. My Gorgeous man always likes a dollup of ketchup with his meatloaf. (He’s done that since he was a kid) Enjoy!