Summer is here! And that means it’s time for luscious, fresh strawberries! A nearby Farmer’s Market is the place to buy fresh strawberries that have been picked just hours before. Whenever we buy these fresh, beautiful, organic strawberries the minute we get home I wash them and we eat some immediately! In an instant, we are in Strawberry Heaven… fresh strawberry juice runs down the chin and drips off the wrists…YES! What a marvelous way to celebrate Summer!
Another FABULOUS way to celebrate Summer is with this amazingly delicious, gluten-free Fresh Strawberry Banana Cake! Fresh Strawberry Banana Cake is the perfect cake for a Birthday or BBQ (or any occasion). The gluten-free vanilla cake layers are light and airy, filled with freshly whipped cream, sliced strawberries and sliced bananas. Oh my… each bites invites you to take another bite! Yum!
FRESH STRAWBERRY BANANA CAKE
Line two – 8” x 2” round cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325°F
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup potato starch (potato starch not flour!)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup bakers sugar (very finely granulated sugar)
4 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Sift cornstarch, potato starch, cream of tartar and salt, twice. Set aside. Measure 3/4 cup bakers sugar. Set aside.
2. Separate eggs – Put yolks in a small bowl. Put whites in a GREASE FREE mixing bowl and beat whites 1 – 2 minutes on high speed with your electric mixer until thick and puffy. Beat in vanilla, then S-L-O-W-L-Y pour in the sugar a little bit at a time, while beating on high speed until light and fluffy. It should look like thick, puffy clouds!
3. Turn mixer speed to medium and add egg yolks one at a time, beating just until mixed in. Take the beaten “cloud” mixing bowl to a counter and you’re going to hand-whisk in the dry ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients in thirds over the egg whites; gently WHISK just until mixed. (A whisk is the best tool for this!)
4. Pour into prepared pans. Bake approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cakes on a wire rack. When completely cooled, run a knife around the edges and loosen cakes.
3 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place all in a chilled bowl and beat on low speed until mixed together, then on high speed until thick and fluffy.
Fresh Strawberries, 1 quart or more (I always love more)
- Slice some for the filling; use whole berries for decoration.
2-3 sliced Bananas
Remove the parchment paper from the cake and slice each cake in half to make four layers. I used only three layers (see the picture above) and saved the fourth layer for a little treat for another day. You can use all four layers if you like; it will make a very TALL cake which is a bit challenging to slice and serve.
- Put one layer on your cake plate and top with sweetened whipped cream. Spread to the edges; then evenly arrange some of the sliced strawberries and bananas.
- Spread some more whipped cream on top; then add another layer. Repeat until you’re done! Cover with plastic wrap and chill until you are ready to serve it.
- Decorate your cake with the sliced bananas and whole strawberries right before you serve it. The bananas will turn brown if you place them on top ahead of time.
Ohhhhh, you’re going to love this!!! Happy Summer Day!